Friday, August 6, 2010

Sustainable Directions Internship

For the past month, I have been interning at ECOvention, LLC through a program by Triskeles called "Sustainable Directions". About thirty kids from Urban Assembly schools were set up at different small sustainable businesses to learn about how the "Triple Bottom Line" affects most businesses. "The Triple Bottom Line" is a term based on People, Planet, and Prosperity/Profit. Through weekly seminars we, the interns, discussed different values one should have as a working adult.

At ECOvention I've learned a lot! This included both business and inter-office relations - it's been a valuable experience to see how people can work together effectively for a product they all really believe in. I loved my first intern experience and luckily for me it doesn't have to end now - they've asked me to stick around as long as I can! Apparently, Sean (OldIntern) suffered a nervous breakdown while trying to change the GreenBox user name on Facebook, so I have to step in and handle those kinds of things from now on...

At the Culminating Celebration, in groups of six we presented our own "Triple Bottom Line Projects" with plans for sustainable businesses and thanked out work cites! William Walsh, Jennifer Wright, and Ned Kensing came to show support. Sean, on the other hand, was weird as usual: he complains about being left out of everything, but I invited him, and he didn't show up! He claims he tried to send me a Facebook message about it, but it triggered his PTSD and he blacked out. Like I said, I've learned a lot about working with..."interesting" personalities. I hope OldIntern gets the professional help he so clearly needs.

Still, the night was as enjoyable as this whole month with ECOvention has been, and I am so glad I was given the chance to stick around and learn more!






No comments:

Post a Comment